“The simplest things are often the truest.” – Richard Bach
There’s nothing I love more than simplicty, and S.W. Basics is a true example of that.
I only recently found out about the company, and after a bit of research it seems to tick all my boxes in what makes a great skincare brand:
- they use the simplest possible blends
- ingredients are either certified organic, Fair Trade, or sourced from small family farms
- they go by the belief that fewer ingredients = less chance for irritation, higher potency, and a smaller overall ecological impact
- almost all their products are vegan (except for their beeswax lip balms, they do provide a range of vegan lip balms however)
- they do not test on animals
In this post I talk about two of their popular products – their Hibiscus Face Mask and Organic Cleanser (if you live in Australia you can get them from Miss Pearl).
Hibiscus Face Mask
This mask contains just three ingredients – hibiscus, French green clay, and lavender – but they certainly pack a punch.
Hibiscus has been renowned for its skin and beauty benefits:
- increases skin elasticity
- inhibits the activity of the enzyme elastase, which is responsible for breaking down our skin’s elastin,
- evens skin tone due to the slightly exfoliating effect of the organic acids found in the plant, including citric acid and malic acid
- rich in a type of antioxidants called anthocyanocides, which protect against free radical damage and have slightly astringent properties
- has an anti-inflammatory effect
- purifies the complexion by breaking down dead skin and increasing cell turnover (great for acne!)
- gives an intense moisture boost due to its naturally high mucilage content,
The French green clay also adds to the beauty benefits of this mask:
- penetrates the pores, removing toxins, impurities and excess oils and serums out of the cells
- helps to stimulate the blood vessels below the surface of the skin
- highly recommended for people who suffer from oily skin, as its absorbent properties help remove and drain impurities and superficial effects of pollution from the skin
- Note: do not use metal utensils when using French green clay as it causes a reaction with the clay that alters the composition
Lastly, the organic lavender powder provides an extra boost of goodness to the skin:
- antiseptic and anti-fungal which helps to reduce scarring and speeds healing
- anti-inflammatory and circulatory stimulant
- helps in fighting acne breakouts and infections
- helps with redness and blotchiness of the complexion
This mask is perfect for keeping those breakouts at bay; I used it close to my time-of-the-month, and found that it really helped control the oil and the amount of spots that cropped up. Usually my skin gets quite greasy and dull, and a lot of pimples appear near my jawline. After using the mask I found that my skin looked a lot brighter and fresher, and there were fewer pimples popping up than usual – the pimples that did appear didn’t stay for long! Overall, it really helped to revamp my skin when it needed a boost.
This versatile cleanser has also gone by the rule of three and features only the following ingredients: organic rosewater, organic vegetable glycerin and organic tea tree oil.
Rosewater is a winner for skin as it:
- helps to maintain the skin’s pH balance
- helps fight acne, dermatitis and eczema
- helps to hydrate, revitalize, moisturize, and smooth out the skin
- helps to heal scars, cuts and wounds
- helps tone the skin
- offers anti-bacterial properties
- has antioxidant properties that help to strengthen skin cells along with regenerating skin tissues
Vegetable glycerin is a great plant-based moisturiser and also:
- acts as a natural humectant
- when used with other natural oils and ingredients, it can seal in moisture on the top layer of our skin while the other oils work their way deep into our cells to provide long-lasting moisture
- isn’t an additive that has no value (like some other sugars); it actually helps your body attract moisture and absorb healthy ingredients
- Note: Be cautious when buying glycerin for your own use- there are non-vegetable varieties, derived from petroleum or animal fat, that can be very drying to the skin
Organic Tea Tree Oil helps to preserve and kill off any nasties:
- stimulates the immune system
I love how my skin felt soft and supple after using this – most cleansers leave my skin a bit tight and dry, but this oil-based cleanser worked a treat when it came to taking my make-up off, along with the daily grime that had accumulated underneath, leaving my skin clean and fresh. A big thumbs up from me!
Follow me on social media to keep yourself updated: